Wednesday, May 16, 2007

JOHNRON'S BEAN BURGERS

OK - I've received a fair amont of inquiries on my beanburger recipe, so I'm going to go ahead and post it... provided you give me a little credit. ;)

One thing...making the bean patties can get messy. Just prepare for it and accept it.

1 can Garbanzo beans
1 can black beans
1 egg
1 tablespoon Olive Oil (give or take...and extra virgin is my preference!)
1/2 cup dried oats (or dried substitute of your choice)
1/4 cup flour (I prefer wheat)
Salt
Pepper
Other spices of your choosing

Drain cans of beans and empty both into a mixing bowl. If you have an electronic mixer (such as a Kitchen-Aid) it is quite helpful. Otherwise, use a potato masher to mash the beans. As a last resort, use your hands.

Use some of the olive oil to help build a little consistency in the mixture. All beans don't have to be completely mixed, some can be whole or partially whole.

Mix some spices into the beans along with oats without letting the mixture get too dry and crack the egg into the mixture and mix well. If the mixture gets too dry, add a little oil, and if it doesn't set up very well and is still too wet, add some of the flour you have on hand. The egg is for consistency, but if you freak out over cholestorol, please don't feel constrained to use it.

Make your patties (no more than 1/2 inch thick) and season as desired.

If cooking on an open grill, be sure to turn burger more often than a regular hamburger, but otherwise cook as you would a normal hamburger. If cooking on a stovetop, make sure there's a decent amount of olive oil to cook them in.

This makes 3-5 burgers depending on how big you make them. Remember, the beans don't shrink like ground beef would. Double the cans of beans to make more...

And that's it...easy!

If any of you use the recipe, let me know how it turned out!!

2 comments:

*Amy * said...

how domestic of you to post a recipe. even i dont do that. oh well, i will have to try them since i never cook period! and I am really trying to find something really good that i like so i will have to cook!if it works and i feed my husband, he will be your new best friend:)

John R. said...

oh, amy, if you only knew how domestic I am sometimes. Holli has never done my laundry...I always do my own...that's just one of the many things...

I hope the burgers turn out ok!!