Tuesday, May 15, 2007

An open letter to NBA Commissioner David Stern and Vice President of Basketball Operations Stu Jackson

Dear Commissioner Stern and Mr. Jackson:

I believe you have set a very poor precendent in handing down suspensions to Amare Stoudamire and Boris Diaw of the Phoenix Suns today. I realize that there exists a rule specifically prohibiting the action these two players committed, but evidently it does not apply to Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen of the San Antonio Spurs, who also left their home bench. If you are going to follow the letter of the law, you should follow it to the fullest extent.

What Robert Horry did was thuggish and, in my opinion, merited more than a two-game suspension. It was a calculated move, and Phoenix will ultimately pay the price for it, not San Antonio. When things like this - interventions from the league that are ultimately one-sided - happen in a sport where players should be allowed to play, I begin to lose interest in the game, but also in attending games, where part of my ticket money finds its way to your offices. There was no altercation involving Diaw or Stoudamire, regardless of what their intentions were when they arose. I simply think they did what many people would have done if their teammate was put in the same position.

Bruce Bowen was not punished for a kick to Stoudamire, nor a knee to Steve Nash's groin, and Baron Davis was not suspended for the incident with Derek Fisher, and now, Duncan and Bowen won't be punshed for leaving the bench during the Elson/Jones scuffle earlier in the game, but Stoudamire and Diaw will be punished for the ridiculous and uncalled for foul Robert Horry committed.

I regret to say that I consider this a baseless and almost spineless action on the league's part. Clearly Commissioner Stern already feels some shame since it has been announced that he will not be attending tomorrow's game. My advice to the commissioner would be to elongate that distance from US Airways Center for a long time until this shameful incident is in a much deeper recess of our mind.

I am a disgusted fan, who had season tickets, and I would be very much inclined to sell next year's package because I don't want my money touching any organization that floats such heinous double standards so freely.

Sincerely,
JCR

4 comments:

holli jo said...

I have several thoughts. First, I think the rule they broke was stupid. They should only be punished for actually getting involved in the altercation, which they didn't.

And yes, I think there have been some unfair rulings going on.

However, I also think basketball players should behave in a sportsman-like manner. All of them. It's not like Amare and Diaw didn't know the rules...(Although to be fair, I'm sure it's just a knee-jerk reaction to jump up when your teammate gets hit like that.)

So who knows. All I know for sure is, the Suns can take them anyway. Go Suns!

Mrs Andy said...

john, this was a really good letter, I think you should consider sending it.

Anonymous said...

this is completely unrelated to your post, and you may have already seen this, but clark alves is a flinn scholar! http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0516edflinn0516.html

John R. said...

Joyce - I did send the letter just this morning. I won't hold my breath for a response.

Kimbo - since I have a little connection to Flinn, I think I knew Clark got it before he did (it's hard biting your tongue when you're proud of overachievers from your hometown!) I'm happy for him...