Thursday, May 31, 2007

Losing Iavaroni and the Memphis Grizzlies college team

Mark Iavaroni (which should really be pronounced yavaroni ;) ) was recently hired as the head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies. He's going to be a huge loss for Phoenix, but I think this is his big chance and he needs to, of course, fly with this opportunity. He's been an assistant coach for three big coaching names: Fratello, Riley, and D'Antoni...needless to say, he's been groomed by the best.

This, however, is not the point of my post. While reading a story on Yahoo! Sports (written by AP writer Woody Baird), I read this paragraph:

Tony Barone, the Grizzlies' former director of player personnel, was appointed interim coach last season when Memphis fired Mike Fratello with the team at 6-24. The Grizzlies finished at 22-60 following three straight trips to the NCAA playoffs.
NCAA playoffs? Hellooooo... Good thing you changed it after who knows long... I know even the best journalists make mistakes, but had I done something like that under my newswriting professor he would have cut my finger off...under any of my previous editors and the appendages would definitely be larger.

No comments: