Tuesday, May 29, 2007

back from The Magic Kingdom

Holli and I spent Memorial Day weekend with her parents, two of her sisters and brother-in-law at Disneyland. We had a blast (albeit at the price of some very sore feet and ankles). Seriously, I thought I was going to give out, but we all hung in there (and who knows, I might be the only one who suffered!)

Holli's family takes their Disney very seriously. I've never seen anything like it, but with them it makes it a lot more fun. We pretty much canvassed both parks and rode nearly every ride, though I have to say that Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in Disneyland and California Screamin' and Tower of Terror in California Adventure were my favorites. A lot of my friends don't take me for the thrill ride type, but I love them.

The premiere for the latest Pirates of the Carribbean movie was at Disneyland the night we got there, and by the next day it was evident that a definite pirate theme was taking over the park...maybe a little too much for my taste, but hey...money talks, and Pirates has definitely been another Disney cash cow.

Holli and I were both a little sad because we don't know when we'll be able to do something like that with her family again. The fact that we're supposed to be moving in exactly eight weeks has startled both of us, and we've really got to bear down and get ready to get out of here. I know that the move is going to be hard on her because she's very close to her family (I'll miss them too, of course!) But, I guess I'm just wanting to get it over with and become temporary Georgians. We want to come back somewhere near our families when I'm done, but anyone in academia knows that it's not always that simple (though people have told me that a Georgia Ph.D. will give me a little more leverage -- which is a nice thought, but the skeptic in me is still out on that one.) One Georgia Ph.D. is leaving UNLV for UT Dallas, and another is coming to U of A, so hopefully there will be some prospects for us out west when I'm finished.

Anyway...I've totally derailed the topic, which is probably a good indicator that I should stop writing for now...

Until then...

5 comments:

*Amy * said...

Glad you guys had fun. Did you see the new Pirates movie then? I think it was way too random and basically just there for the profit. Anyways, eight weeks until you move? That is crazy! Well AZ will miss you both but I certainly envy you getting to travel. Sometime I will have to blog about the traveling nursing thing Chris wants to do here in 2 years or so. Well we each have to go our own ways in life. I say enjoy it though, plus you and Holli will be closer because of it, even though you are really close now, traveling across the states tend to form stronger marriages so that is always good right?You gotta be strong together without your fam there. It's hard but worth it. Anyways, out of all the old school friends I think you have one of the brightest futures ahead of you, so embrace it!

Anonymous said...

you're right that money talks. it talks to pirates. that's why they're so good at finding buried treasure. it's also why there were so many pirates at disneyland. the life of a pirate is such that one can vacation at anytime because while the job is taxing, the work really doesn't demand it be done on any sort of deadlines. as such a pirate can always afford to take a break. there will always be other ships to loot and other buried treasures to find.

Mark, Monette, Coytt and Dalon said...

I hope Pirates 3 is better than Spiderman 3, boy was that movie a waste of money and time waiting in line. Sounds like you had a lot of fun this holiday weekend. We went camping in Vernon and loved it. Good luck with the move, and good luck in the South, watch the speed limits carefully the cops there are relentless. But you will enjoy the trees (until you feel like you are trapped in a tunnel and then you will wish for the mountains of AZ again. As a hint...buy aerosol deoderant and turn your shirts inside out and spray it on them so they don't stick to you in that crazy humidity. It works great and keeps your whole body dry not just the underpits :)

John R. said...

A - we had a blast. That traveling nurse thing Chris wants to do will be fun for you guys..you'll enjoy it. And thanks for the kind words :)

J - let's forget the legislature and get started on building a ship.

Mo - I have seen either movie, but have heard that S3 wasn't the best. Lucky you guys camping in Vernon! I haven't been up on the mountain or SJ for almost three years...probably time for a visit. And thanks for the tip on the humidity!! I HATE humidity and I know that will be the worst when we get there...

Anonymous said...

i like humidity.